As the midterm break has begun families are busy carving pumpkins, choosing costumes and planning alternative spooky activities for this year’s unconventional Halloween. What fun…for humans!
Irish pet retailer and grooming studios, Petmania are highlighting the importance of keeping pets safe throughout the Halloween season. They are urging pet owners to remember Halloween is a time of great disruption for our four legged family members.
To manage this, Petmania have compiled their top-ten tips to minimise the impact on pets through this stressful period.
- Although our pets will not be disturbed by the sound of trick or treaters knocking on doors and ringing doorbells it is important to remember other noise disturbances such as fireworks. Keep your pet feeling safe by creating a covered crate and comfortable bed in a safety den where your pet can sleep soundly throughout this spooky night.
- With an abundance and goodies around the home it is essential that we remember to keep sweet treats out of reach as they can be fatal for pets.
- A treat puzzle is a fantastic distraction to get pets through loud or stressful periods.
- Costumes are optional – make sure that any pet costume is comfy and if your pet looks unhappy, don’t persist. Halloween is to be a fun event for the entire family.
- Stay indoors– Remember to take your pet outside throughout the day so ensure they are ready to settle in for this spooky evening. The safest place for your pet is indoors, in a quiet, calm, space.
- Karma wraps are stress relieving coats that hug dogs tight to help calm and relax them.
- As we are excited for this festive season so too are our pets. Candles and lanterns can easily get knocked over by an enthusiastic pet. Keep them out of reach or use alternative battery operated versions.
- Stay visible outdoors with reflective collars, leads and coats.
- Pheromone diffusers and natural calming tools such as Pet Remedy, Adaptil or Feliway ranges are available in Petmania and will stop your pet from feel any distress.
- Check ID Tags – to make sure that they are secure and the details correct. If your pet gets spooked and runs away, it will be easier to get him/her home safely.
Emily Miller, Marketing Manager with Petmania says: “This year’s Halloween activities are taking place under very different circumstances.
“Nevertheless, Halloween is a time where we need to take extra care of our pets. A safety den is a brilliant tool to keep pets at ease. The most important advice we can give is to keep your families and pets indoors this festive season.”
Pet stores are essential retailers and Petmania Ireland would like to reassure customers that they will remain open throughout Level 5. The store has a number of safety measures in place to protect its customers while restocking nutritional and pet-care items.
For more information on keeping pets safe this Halloween, contact a Petmania pet expert in one of its 12 stores and grooming studio’s nationwide. Halloween wearables and safety equipment are available from www.petmania.ie